Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Play dough puzzles






















My son loves play dough. The problem is I am always running out of ideas for things to make with it and we don't have any of the fancy play dough gadgets. So i came up with this idea the other day during our play dough time. I am sure I'm not the first to make puzzles with play dough. There are probably even kits you can buy in the store for the same thing, but it was fun and easy so I thought I'd share in case someone else hadn't thought of it yet.

Play dough puzzles are very simple. I'm sure it helps develop all sorts of important skills. I just don't know what. If I had to take a gander, I would say motor skills and thinking skills. Plus, the best part is you can keep making new ones over and over, and you don't have little pieces to store. The pictures show a more intricate puzzle. I started with very simple ones for my 17mo old. For example; a heart cut in half.

Items you'll need:
  • Play dough. Store bought or homemade (see recipe at bottom)


  • Cookie Cutters, any size. Jumbo ones work great for the little guys


  • Rolling pin

Directions:


  • Roll out the play dough
  • Cut out your shape with the cookie cutter

  • Using the edge of the cookie cutter cut the shape into smaller irregular pieces
  • Let your toddler try and put them back together

  • Repeat


Homemade play dough:
3 cups flour
3 tablespoons oil
2 cups salt
1 cup water


Mix 2 cups flour with salt. Add oil and water. Mix well. Stir in remaining flour until soft and pliable.
dough recipe from "Toddler Time" by Jean Stangl

No comments:

Post a Comment