Monday, February 1, 2010

Kicking the habit......tv that is






So as reluctant as I am to admit this, here goes. My toddler watches TV. Ugh. I know, I know. I have read all the studies and know what they say, kids who watch TV are bullies, no TV before age two, lessened creativity, and so on and so on. I also may add that before I had my son I thought I would not allow TV to be watched....but here is the kicker. My husband and I both enjoy watching TV. Not to mention we have a GIGANTIC one in our 110 year old home (historic home/huge TV....a little incongruous). I am informed that a gigantic TV is necessary for the months between September and January. Football just doesn't look as good without it, apparently. So I have come to the conclusion that TV, at least in our lives is somewhat unavoidable. Unless we kick the habit ourselves, which we have no intention of doing, (come on, it's my only vice.....a girl needs something to feel guilty about!) then it is probably going to be watched from time to time by our children.

So I have done some soul searching and decided it is all about balance. I tried to justify for awhile that it was okay because we do so many other activities with our son. I try not to be a hyper scheduler but I am borderline. So he is exposed to PLENTY outside stimulation. I also feel that the guilt I have about letting him watch a little TV drives me to do more educational things with him throughout the day. So all this has to be okay right?! Well, according to the studies...NO.

But you know what I've decided about those studies and the people that conduct them? They can say all they want to about incidences that happen in their little controlled study bubbles but then, real life happens. Sometimes when you have had a crazy day and dinner is late and your knee deep in raw chicken, you have two choices; 1.walk around the kitchen with a toddler hanging on your leg screaming MAMA or 2. turn on Elmo, get a little peace and quiet, finish your fabulous dinner or whatever it is you need to finish and hope for the best. The hope that not all the studies turn out exactly in real life like they do in the lab.


So the craft today is dedicated to all the moms out there like me. A fun little craft to do with your toddler to help you feel better about the (insert your time here) your little one just spent watching his/her favorite "educational" program.




Paper Wreath
This craft can be done during any season/holiday. The one shown here was done with leaves for fall. You can easily change the shape for whatever you please. Hearts for valentines day, four leaf clovers for St. Patricks Day, etc.

You will need:
  • Construction paper in your choice of colors (depending on the holiday). The stiffer the paper the better. Card stock works nicely.
  • Scissors (adults do the cutting).
  • Shape of your choice. I use my computer to download printable shapes, easily found by googling what shape you are looking for. Or you can also draw by hand.

  • Glue. Stick or bottle, your choice.

Directions:


  1. Print or draw desired shape. Using a least three different colored papers. Doing a variety of sizes is also nice.


  2. Lay out the shapes in a circle. You can use a place turned upside down if you need help with the circle, or just wing it. It is a craft for your toddler so perfection should not be expected.


  3. If you feel that you need a base to follow, cut out a 2 0r 3 inch wide circle using a piece of poster board to your desired size of the wreath. Glue the shapes to one another overlapping slightly. Enough for stability but not too tightly together. Show your toddler how to do this by demonstrating with one or two to get them started.


  4. Then let your child do the rest. You hold the shape and help them or let them depending on their motor skills put the glue on the shape.


  5. Let your child place the shape on the wreath.


  6. When your wreath is finished you can attach a ribbon to the front or back and hang anywhere you'd like. It also makes a great grandparent gift.


See pictures above.

Disclaimer:

Yes my son does have the glue in his mouth. This is a possibility.








1 comment:

  1. So many studies, so little time to study them. I think you are doing fine with a little Elmo. It would be if he were just sitting there all day watching non stop TV that you should feel quilty. But then doesn't quilt and motherhood go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete