Saturday, October 2, 2010

Times, they are a changin'

My life just underwent some major change. My family and I moved from a western mountain town to the deep deep south. It was probably the biggest move in my life, even trumping the first time I moved away from home to attend college. That's because so much more was at stake. We have a child, a house, pets, and not to mention all the things that go in a house. It was exciting and scary and time consuming. Which is precisely the reason the last post I made was Day 2 Instructions of a quilt I was making for my son, over 4 months ago. Now that quilt is boxed away in our new home wondering if it will ever be finished. It will so don't worry if you are making one too and waiting for those instructions. They will come, eventually.

Moving to the deep south from a liberal western city was quite monumental for many reasons. For one I had no idea what changes I may be about to face. I wondered about the cultural differences, the schools, making friends, finding a playgroup, the weather, etc, etc. I was moving further away from my side of the family and even further away from my husbands side. We were truly going into unknown, at least to us, territory. My husband was opening a new office in a new city on his own. No transfer with a big company that provides moving help. We were literally on our own. SCARY! Not to mention that we know this move most likely will be temporary. Which of course means we will get to do it all over again in no time at all. Yay. (slight sarcasm inserted here)

Well we survived the move. Which wasn't easy, but we have been here for about 45 days and we seem to be settling in just fine. We both miss our old city and friends but we are diving in head first. With hope that it will help ease the transition. We definitely have encountered differences but we are trying to roll with it. We know that every place has something to offer you just have to follow the saying "When in Rome".

I am sure there will be plenty of experiences here to learn from and hopefully grow from. The hope is I will be up and crafting and sewing again in no time, with plenty of fun crafts to share with all of my old friends far away, and my new friends right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment